Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Project Premiere/World Class, Day 3: My Fair Ladies


And now we complete the three-headed monster from the Land of the Rising Sun. The triple threat. The trifecta. The Toyota Supra. The Mazda RX-7. The Nissan 300ZX. Also known as the Fairlady Z32 for our friends on the other side of the ocean.


The 300ZX is a rarity in the diecast world, at least currently. In fact, these two are the only examples in my whole collection. I collect a wide variety of brands, from budget to high-end, yet I don't have any others. Most of the castings out there have already been retired, including this one. They had already been long retired when I started collecting about seven years ago. The 300ZX is a fan favorite, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see Hot Wheels or Matchbox retool and release it in the near future.



These examples hold their own just fine. They're a bit larger, as are all older Matchbox models, but their over-the-top detailing is unparalleled when compared to today's lineup. I know, I already sound like a broken record and we're only three days in. The 300ZX is a car that has a lot of little details, especially with the design of the lights throughout the car. Matchbox has captured all of that perfectly, making this one of my favorite castings from the Premiere and World Class series. That taillight cluster though. It's perfect.


The yellow is a Premiere; the white, a World Class. Again, chrome windows + silver wheels = World Class. If you ever stumble upon some loose Matchbox cars that look like Premieres, just follow the simple formula.

I think both of these are just as good as one another. Ultimately I prefer the white paint over the yellow, but the Premiere has that interior detail that I've been raving about lately. And with the whole greenhouse engulfed in chrome, who knows if that white one even has an interior at all. You really can't go wrong with either though. Plus, if two is not enough, there's also another World Class recolor in red. Yeah, I think I'm gonna need more than two...













2 comments: