Thursday, May 12, 2016

Project Premiere/World Class, Day 12: The Real Deal


If yesterday's Porsche was a little underwhelming, this one won't be. And it isn't. It's another legend. It's the Porsche 959, and Matchbox got this one right.

By the way, see what I did there with the time of this post?


At last, I have a 959 in my hands again. When I was a kid, I had a silver 959 from Maisto, amongst many other models from them. For those of you who remember, the Maisto cars were essentially knock-offs of Matchbox castings back in the day. They were fine castings, yes, but they looked and felt cheap, which is why I threw them out when I started taking collecting seriously. The 959 has been a gaping hole in my collection since. I've struck out on a couple of releases from Hot Wheels: first, the Valentine's Day version from a few years ago, and most recently the one from the Porsche series.

Well, I've got the real deal now, not the knockoff. And I'll gladly take this one over any of the aforementioned examples, any day of the week.


This casting is certainly showing its age, but my god, is it perfect or what? The proportions are just right, from the body lines to the ride height. Yes, it's a bit wide, but that's the norm for older Matchbox. The details are plentiful as you would expect from this series. Most shockingly of all, the wheels don't stick out like a sore thumb! While I'm not a fan of the Porsche decals on the doors (and if you're attentive enough, you'll notice that it's higher on the left side than the right), they don't detract from the model at all. Sure, one can nitpick about the spoiler being solidly cast to the body, and you may groan about the chrome windows once again, but let's not forget this is a toy. A rather excellent one at that.


To make this even sweeter, it's one of the more common (and least expensive) World Class models you'll find. Quite the opposite of the real thing.







No comments:

Post a Comment