Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Project Premiere/World Class, Day 11: Back on Track


Oh, yes.

It's another racecar.


We're moving on to Stuttgart, ladies and gentlemen. Surely this will please many of you collectors out there. Legendary racing history, legendary cars. This is the Porsche 935 from the Matchbox World Class series.

If I were to summarize this model in one sentence, it would be this: it's both seriously awesome yet seriously flawed. OK, maybe more of the latter.


I was extremely hyped when I found one of these at a very reasonable price. I thought I had just acquired another gem for my collection. This is one of those World Class releases you don't see too often, and I absolutely had to jump at the chance to own one of these.

Then it came in the mail, and I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed. Worth the price? Sure. But it could've been better. So much better, in fact.


For starters, there's the egregious ride height. I expected something low-slung, like a proper racecar should be. I had no idea that the 935 was a rally car. Second, take a good look and zoom in on the photos, any of them. The flaws really come out with these close-up shots. The casting is very rough and so is the pearlescent white paint. In case you were wondering, this 935 was mint-in-package when I received it, and despite that, it already looks play-worn. This is one of those times when Matchbox failed to do justice to a model, and it's a shame because it had so much potential. I can't help but think about how a good racing livery would've been able to mask these flaws.


And did I mention how wide this thing is? I retract my earlier statement about the BMW M1 being the widest 1/64 I own because this one takes the cake. It's hilariously wide at the rear. I've yet to complain about this issue with all of the other Premiere and World Class models, but this is getting a bit ridiculous, don't you think?


At the end of the day, I know many of you will be searching eBay as you're reading or browsing through this feature. And if you're not, I'm sure you'll be getting that itch very soon. You're welcome.

It's a 935. 'Nuff said.

P.S. It's also available in yellow, which might be even harder to find!





No comments:

Post a Comment