Monday, May 2, 2016

Project Premiere/World Class, Day 2: Four of a Kind


From one 90's Japanese icon to another, allow me to present the Mazda RX-7.

This is the FD generation of the legendary RX-7 line. Also the best in the eyes of many. I prefer the older FC, but that has nothing to do with today's feature. We're here to see and discuss diecast, and I have four of them to show you guys. Three from the Premiere series, one from the World Class series.

Which gives me an opportunity to explain the differences between the two. You may have already noticed that one is not quite the same as the others.


That's right, the black one is the World Class release. It's quite simple. World Class models come with chrome windows and silver wheels. For the Premiere series, Matchbox took the chrome from the windows and applied it to the wheels. The best of both worlds would be clear windows with the silver wheels. That's something for the customizers out there to do. I like my cars stock.

In person, the chrome windows aren't too bad. Overall though, I have to give the edge to the Premiere series. Not because of the windows or the wheels, but because of this:


Interior details! Two-tone treatment with red shifter knob and silver-centered/black-rimmed steering wheel. This is truly Matchbox at its best, and we have yet to see anything like this from them since. In fact, this is something you rarely see from any brand, period. TLV might do it on some of their models. Oversteer Models does it as well. Those are premium brands that are completely out of this league in terms of price. This is a Matchbox, from 25 years ago to boot. No shame in that.

So, we have the RX-7 in black, red, yellow, and green. I'm missing the silver Premiere release and that's it, as far as I know. Which one is your favorite?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think I like that green one most.



















No comments:

Post a Comment