Monday, May 23, 2016

Project Premiere/World Class, Day 16: Oh, It's Good To Be Bad


First thing's first. I'm going to have to make some changes with my features. I initially wanted to do one feature every day for a whole month. Obviously, that hasn't been working out lately due to most, if not all, of my time being sucked up with other things going on right now. However, it is very important to me that I showcase these cars because I want to hammer home the point of how great these models are. I won't be featuring one a day, but I'll do it when I can, and I'll keep doing them until I run out of cars to show. So, instead of showing "only" thirty-one castings, I will be revealing the whole arsenal. I've got a bunch of cars now, a few on the way as we speak, and much more planned in the future.


When it comes to older Matchbox releases, most of the spotlight goes to the golden-era stuff and the Lesney/Superfast models. Those are awesome models in their own rights, and I've even gotten the itch to start collecting some of the Superfast cars recently. If I eventually go down that road (OK, maybe I already have), you'll surely see it here. For now, it's time to shine that light on the Premieres and the World Classes.


With that being said, today's feature is ironically neither Premiere nor World Class. You just heard me go on and on about them and I ended up throwing a curveball.

Oh, it's good to be bad.


Unlike those terrible, overrated, and overhyped Jaguar ads from a couple years back (and I can't believe they still show them today), this Jag fortunately does not possess those traits. As I mentioned, it's not from either of the series that I've been raving about the past few weeks. In fact, I'm not even sure what one should call this. I've heard somewhere it's a European dealer exclusive. Information is scarce, and so are these models, but there are others out there besides this XJ6. I've seen a Ferrari F50, for one, and I have another model which came in a set with this Jaguar. That one will be revealed and profiled at a later date.


Not surprisingly, this one cost a pretty penny. It wasn't cheap, but it's most definitely not unobtanium either. This is yet another one of those old Matchbox castings that we would all love to have today. As I will frequently tell you, I love collecting "normal" cars, and this one fits the bill. Not every diecast piece has to be a sports car to be desirable. Isn't this one quite the looker? That British Racing Green paired with the gold stripe down the side and the tan interior is a deadly combination.


There is a more common version of this model in the World Class series. Actually, it's not common at all, but more so than this one. It's a dark blue variant, and I have it sitting under my desk right now amongst a pile of other cars, all still in their packaging, waiting for their proper DLM treatments. That pretty much sums up my situation right now. Some of the cars down there have been sitting for a couple weeks. There's some really neat Premieres and World Class cars in the mix. There's some new product, across various brands, that I'd like to feature on here as well. All I can say is, stay tuned!







No comments:

Post a Comment