Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Better Late Than Never: Finding This Year-Old Plymouth 440 'Cuda, From M2 Machines


About a year ago, I got into the premium American muscle diecast brands. That means Greenlight, Auto World, and M2 Machines. The first M2 I added to my collection was an olive green/black roof '71 HEMI Cuda from the Auto Drivers series. From there on out, I designated the 'Cuda as my favorite classic American muscle car. To keep things going, my second M2 was a purple 383 'Cuda with the signature 383 vinyl, in contrasting white, slapped on the doors and the rear fenders. That one was from the Detroit Muscle series, Release 27.

I dug up old photos of both, shown below:



And just the other day, I walked into Walmart to check out the diecast selection. Naturally, I found nothing of interest. No new product. The Hot Wheels were already scalped clean. Matchbox was nearly nonexistent. The premium diecast section was pitiful. However, I spotted one gem among a pile of mundane M2 cars that have been sitting there for the past months. It was this purple 440 'Cuda from the Detroit Muscle series, Release 27. If you're paying attention, that's the same wave as the aforementioned 383 'Cuda I found last summer.


Yes, Walmart has managed to not put out any new stock in the recent months but somehow, someway managed to unearth a batch of old M2's. If they're as good as this one, then keep them coming. Purple is just a great, great color for basically anything. This 'Cuda even has purple wheels to match. Otherwise, it's totally bare. No '440 vinyl or contrasting two-tone roof that you normally see M2 do on these models. In a time where I've started collecting fewer and fewer M2's because of their quality issues, this is a welcome rare addition to the collection.

That makes seven '71 'Cuda's, by M2 Machines, on my shelf right now. It never gets old.








No comments:

Post a Comment