Sunday, September 4, 2016

Mechagodzilla: The 1/18 Nissan GT-R (R35) by Kyosho


Another one.

Yes, it's another Skyline. Kind of. As if you haven't seen enough from me already.

Introducing Kyosho’s 1/18 Nissan GT-R (R35) Premium Edition.

The 1/18's keep rolling in. This is the latest addition to the stable, and it's GT-R number five.

I snapped way more photos of this model than I normally do with my other cars, which basically tells you how much I love it. My god, was it fun. Yes, it has a few shortcomings but man, does this thing look fantastic. Beastly, in fact. This is a stock GT-R, pre-facelift, which is honestly the best looking R35 of them all. The supercar killer at a budget price, before the massive price hike. The design - clean, without all the extra vents, tacked on LED bits, and squared-off body panels that came with each successive “update”. Most of all, the original seven-spoke rims are way better than the ones used on the more recent GT-R models. Yes, you can blow the transmission and have your warranty voided, but thankfully you can’t do that on this diecast model.


Kyosho’s model came out around the same time as AutoArt’s, both of which have been discontinued for some time now. Both are very nice replicas, and there’s been much discussion on which one is better. Some say the AutoArt wins on the exterior while Kyosho does a better job with the interior. If you look through the internet for photos of the AA and compare them to what you see here, you’ll see that the biggest difference are the wheels. AutoArt went with silver wheels (later on they released the model with matte black wheels - gross!); Kyosho went with a gunmetal color and thicker tires, which makes the wheels look smaller than they should be. Overall, I think AA’s wheels are more accurate, but I prefer the gunmetal finish of the Kyosho. Can’t have ‘em all, I guess.


This is my first Kyosho in 1/18 scale, and it’s basically what you expect as a premium diecast model and as a Kyosho. Which is detail and quality. The realism just oozes from these photos, and 98% of that is the model and maybe 2% is me. Spending the hour or two to photograph and edit the pictures is already worth the price tag itself. I’m hooked. I want more of these 1/18's. And I can never have too many GT-R’s.


I have now realized what a photogenic car the R35 GT-R is. None of my R33's turned out this well in photos. For a car that critics like to slam as “ugly” and “fat”, this is quite the feat. And the Super Silver, the signature color for the R35, looks fantastic. I never thought I would actually like the color silver on any car, but now I see why Nissan charges an extra two grand for this paint job.

Please, enjoy the barrage of photos below...



If there's one flaw, it's the gap in the hood.

Press that little button...

...to pop open the hood!


Fabric trunk liner = top level detail.












Oh, how could I forget?



The NISMO may be faster, but if we're talking diecast models, I'll take the standard Kyosho.

No comments:

Post a Comment