Friday, September 9, 2016

Black And Yellow: GT Spirit's 1/18 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Black Series


The 1/18 craze continues.

If you've been keeping track, you're probably thinking "it's about time this fool showed us something other than a Skyline!" I'm all about brand and model diversity; my 1/64 collection is a perfect example of that. But outside of the GT-R's, I just haven't found a 1/18 worth spending a Benjamin (and then some) on. Until now.

Presenting the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Black Series, by GT Spirit.


The C63 AMG Black Series is one insanely wild car. When you see that Black Series badge, you know right away it's something special. The CLK Black Series. The SL65 Black Series. Most recently, the SLS AMG Black Series. Then there's this.


The first time I saw this car in person was at the LA Auto Show back in 2011. It was exactly like this, but red. It had all the carbon fiber blades slicing through the body. It had that huge wing in the back, and you know how much I love wings. It had the same wheels as this model here, black-centered and silver-lipped. I wish I could dig up the old photos I took at the show, but I have no idea where those went. The car stole the whole show, at least in my eyes. Those cartoon-ishly wide fenders coupled with the super aggressive bodywork instantly captured my heart. And to think it all originated from an entry-level luxury car. This is the madness that is the C63 AMG Black Series.


This is my second from GT Spirit, and I've been more than pleased with both of them. While resin or "composite", as some brands like to call it, is nothing more than just glorified plastic, there is zero hint of cheapness in GT Spirit's models. They're weighty, they're as detailed as their diecast counterparts, and the quality does not disappoint.

Compared to Otto Models, I would say GT Spirit is superior in just about every way, but keep in mind I have limited experience in this field. However, I can make a few claims to back up my point. Look closely at the photos here and you'll notice photo-etch badging throughout the car, giving them a realistic three-dimensional look. Otto prints their badges. Look at the front bumper grilles and you'll see that they are perforated individual parts, like you would expect on a diecast model. Otto ditches the extra pieces, fills these areas with flat black paint, and calls it a day. My favorite part of this model is the detailing on the wheels and brakes. Those slotted rotors are a thing to behold.


Should I mention how gorgeous the paint is?

I ordered the model thinking it was going to be yellow. It turned out to be much better than that. It's actually closer to gold in person, made even more amazing with the metallic flakes. This colorway is an older release that's becoming increasingly harder to find. It's limited to 1500 pieces. There are white and black versions of this, both of which are even more limited in quantity. I believe those are dealer exclusives. There's also a red version that came out more recently, but it ditches the wing (the dealbreaker) and wears silver wheels instead. Just some FYI in case you're interested. If anything, I hope this review has put this incredible model on your radar.

A fantastic execution, by GT Spirit, of the most bat-shit crazy C-Class ever. Tons of photos below for your viewing pleasure.
























No comments:

Post a Comment