Sunday, September 25, 2016

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner: Scoring An Auto World Ultra Red 'Bird


Good fortune has been on my side lately.

And yes, I'm back to posting about sixty-fourths at last. I swear I'm sitting on a giant pile of tiny cars that I've accumulated in the past couple weeks. A bunch of 1/64 models, various brands, all kinds of vehicles. The usual case of brand and model diversity with me. Let's get to it.


This is Auto World's 1975 Pontiac Firebird T/A from Release 4, in Ultra Red form. If you don't know what an Ultra Red is, it's like a $uper Treasure Hunt for the Auto World. If you don't know what Auto World is, then you need help. You're missing out on, hands down, the best diecast brand you can find stateside. You don't get better bang (quality, detail, etc.) for your buck. Check it out.


An Ultra Red is a rare color variant of any Auto World release. All you have to do is look for the shiny candy apple red color, but don't get mixed up with releases that normally come in any shade of red. You'll notice immediately that the color of the car doesn't match what's shown on the packaging. Auto World doesn't have a large following of hoarders the way the Mattel brands do, which means your chances of finding an Ultra Red are very good if you keep looking. In the past eight or so years of collecting, how many $uper Treasure Hunts have I found in the wild? Zero. How many Ultra Reds have I found in the past year alone? Two.

Go get 'em.


What I like most about Ultra Reds is that Auto World keeps them realistic. The other brands (Greenlight, M2 Machines, etc.) make their "chase" cars uglier than their normal versions, typically opting for brightly colored tires and flashy trim. I've passed on Green Machines before because I knew I wouldn't be able to look at them without puking. These Ultra Reds are keepers. And the only way to do them justice is to free them.








Oh, and just for fun, I'm throwing in the other Ultra Red in my collection. It's a good one.



...and then paired with the regular release of this model, in silver.


No comments:

Post a Comment