Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Project Premiere/World Class, Day 23: An Ultra Saab


As we take a break from the Skylines (more on the way soon!), now is an opportune time to continue the long overdue Premiere/World Class series. Patience has paid off again, and I've been able to obtain some rare models in the past week, including this one. It's the Matchbox Ultra Class Saab 9000 Turbo.


Wait, Matchbox makes Saabs?

Look, I didn't know either, until I found this one sitting pretty on the bay, inviting me to snatch it up. Due to its rarity, I had to up the ante. Chances are slim that I will find this one again anytime soon, and I wasn't taking any chances. Thankfully, this one didn't slip out of my hands.

The casting itself has a few rough edges due to its age and doesn't look quite right. Being no expert in Saabs, I couldn't immediately recognize this car until I googled it, and even then, it's hard to make the connection. It's a seldom used casting, which explains the collector appeal and value. As usual with the Premieres, it's got a ton of detail. I especially like the black trim around the windows and along the side of the car - something you don't see often in diecast today.

To be clear, this is an Ultra Class release and not a Premiere or World Class. The origins of the Ultra Class series are unbeknownst to me. I've read and heard all sorts of stories regarding them, ranging from being European exclusives to mail-in promotional models, and I still don't know what they are aside from the fact that they are essentially very rare Premiere cars. Those of you with the knowledge, please enlighten me.









No comments:

Post a Comment