Monday, October 3, 2016

Two Eerily Similar M2 Machines HEMI 'Cudas


M2 collectors know about the Target-exclusive models that released early in the year when Target began to sell collector-focused diecast products in select stores. Those models were a moderate success; most of them have sold out by now, but there are still some hanging around, particularly the ones from the Auto-Wheels series. One of them is the silver HEMI 'Cuda shown here. It comes with a pre-installed set of wheels and tires but also includes three other sets of shoes and axles and a handy screwdriver for you to customize to your liking.


Never one to pass on a 'Cuda, I got it with the intention of swapping the original wheels with the redline Torque Thrusts (shown in this post here) included in the package. The truth is I never actually got around to doing so because these kits can be a pain to work on, and I wasn't in the mood for ripping apart my hands.


And just the other day, I ran into a strangely familiar 'Cuda. I liked the Spectrafrost-esque lime green paint. I loved the blacked-out Torque Thrusts wheels with the Redline tires. It called out to me as I stood there for a minute, debating on whether or not to take it. Then I remembered I had that Target-exclusive, with the exact same livery, stashed in the closet. Of course I had to get it and do a comparison. And that was all the motivation I needed to finally get down and get that silver one done.


So, the shiny one is not from the same series and is not a Target exclusive. As shown on the packaging, it's from the Auto Drivers series, which is M2's entry-level line. That means it has a plastic base, printed (instead of plastic) lights, no opening parts, and no extra sets of wheels. But ultimately, none of that matters because then you don't have all the quality issues that come with all the extra parts. Lower price for a better overall product? That's a win-win.


These two make a fine duo. I can't say enough about the wheels on this model. Just look at the deep dishes on the back. While M2 gets an F- for its lack of creativity in copying the design from a previous release, it aces the test with its execution. I'll take five more, please.


















No comments:

Post a Comment