Sunday, October 9, 2016

Maisto Hits Another Home Run With Its 1/18 Ford GT


It's Costco season, and by that I mean it's the time of the year that they carry 1/18 models by Maisto and Bburago (repackaged as Maisto). I'm sure they expect these models to be intended as impulse gifts for friends and family members, but let's be real here: these cars are actually scooped up by collectors. Like me. Like you. The popular and "new" models are the first to go; the unknowing and non-collectors pick through the leftovers and older releases.


Not too long ago, I did a feature on the LaFerrari that I found as Sam's. That was a 2015 model that just made it to wholesale this year. One of Maisto's new models for 2016 is the 2017 Ford GT, and it just so happens to be part of the assortment of cars that have been shipped to Costco stores across the states (and I've heard even in Europe as well). As collectors, we are very lucky that brand new models like this one are already available at clearance prices. Why pay $30-40 for one online when you can get one at Costco for $14? Heck, there's no reason for you to buy any Maisto or Bburago at their retail prices; just wait for the holiday season to roll around. They do this every single year, so don't worry.


I went to my local store yesterday specifically targeting the GT and a few others. Okay, I actually had a laundry list of models I wanted, because this is such a smoking deal that it doesn't matter whether you absolutely need the car or not. I spent a few minutes shuffling and rearranging the models on the palette to make sure I didn't miss anything, all this while an elderly lady watched me with bemusement. My resulting loot consisted of four models; the other three will be featured in the coming days. I took my stack of four cars and walked to my cart with a huge grin on my face.

Sorry ma'am, but I took the last and only GT.


In the past few years, Maisto has made huge strides in the quality and look of their 1/18 models. They no longer look and feel cheap. They're putting in more detail while keeping the price point low. Just take a look at the headlights on this beautiful GT. Recent releases come with standard brake rotors and calipers; older models simply had a flat disk. Opening parts are still a staple for Maisto in a time when many more expensive brands have transitioned to sealed models.

There are a few cues that they're clearly budget brand, such as excessive negative camber due to soft suspensions (thankfully not the case with this particular model). The interior and engine bay are still nothing to scream about. However, you can't tell me that this model of the Ford GT doesn't look just like the real thing. And that's what these are for, really - to look good on your shelf or on your desk.



















No comments:

Post a Comment