Wednesday, October 12, 2016

The BMW M3 (E36) CSL "Lightweight" in 1/18, by Otto Models

The E36 generation is my favorite M3 model. I’m a 90's kid. I like my 90's cars. As with other iconic cars of this era, it has that timelessly clean design without looking too boxy or too old. It’s only right that I went and got myself one of the rarest variants of the E36. This is the BMW M3 (E36) CSL “Lightweight”, by Ottomobile, in 1/18 scale.


A bit of an aside on the brand itself: Otto Models and GT Spirit are sister companies that produce resin models in 1/18 and 1/12 scale. Their product catalogs place an emphasis on European vehicles, both classic and modern, stock and tuned. Otto's models have a lower price point; thus, their models typically have less detail and fewer individual parts. From my fledgling experience in this scale, their quality is also not as good as that of GT Spirit. Keep that in mind as you take a look through these photos.


Back to the E36 CSL. This one has been on my watch list ever since I started collecting eighteenths a couple months ago. It’s an older release, so I had to pay a bit of a markup. That's what happens when you're late to the game, but it's always better late than never. Otto is the only company that makes the CSL variant, and the only one that currently makes any E36 models in 1/18, so this was a must have. 

There’s so much to love about the Lightweight. The colorful checkered flags. The high rear wing. Those unique wheels. Even the patterning on the seats. As always, Otto does a wonderful job in getting the look of the car just right. Up close, there are numerous flaws for the nitpickers. The black trim lines are sloppy. The decals are cheap. There's evidence of cost-cutting throughout the model. It's almost a shame because they have such a potent lineup of vehicles that nobody else produces. It’s all typical Otto, good for those who want a centerpiece for display, bad for those looking to get the most for their money. 

Consider me part of the former, because I'll gladly take more of these. They have an E36 GT in British Racing Green and a beautiful Estoril Blue stock E36 in their arsenal. You know what's gonna happen next...


















No comments:

Post a Comment