Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Yellow Submarine: The Hot Wheels Morris Mini From the Beatles Series


I'm sure you have all heard about the latest Walmart-exclusive Beatles series. I'm sure many of you have also been frustrated to have not been able to find some of the models, the Mini and the Kool Kombi in particular, due to the larger number of collectors scalpers in the hobby today. Fortunately, I have been able to find the set, sans the Kombi, and I'd like to share my one pick with you guys here: The Yellow Submarine Morris Mini.


As much as I loved the artwork and design on all of the models, I couldn't get myself to pick up the other generics in the series. They will sell like hotcakes because of the Beatles factor alone, but I can't help but think Hot Wheels could have put more effort and thought into choosing castings for this set. The same goes with pretty much every other exclusive series released in the past few years. Even kids don't like generics, as evidenced by all the peg warmers and beat up cards lost in the bottom of the dump bins. Please, do us a favor and get a real collector in charge of the decision-making, because these models are becoming very yawn-worthy.

I only buy what I like, and I picked up the lone licensed casting I could find.


I know next to nothing of the Beatles and I couldn't care less for their music. I wouldn't even be able to tell you who the character on this Mini is. But what I really like is the artwork, which has been translated from the card onto the car. And for the openers (aka. real collectors), there's a surprise waiting for you:


Yes, the hidden side has a different design! This one, I presume, shows all members of the Beatles, but don't quote me on that. Either way, it looks fantastic and should be enough to tempt the cardboard collectors to let go of whatever perceived value they have of their toy cars and free them from their cages.





No comments:

Post a Comment