Monday, June 27, 2016

Project Premiere/World Class, Day 20: Ferrari F50


Back at it with the features again.

Today's is a pair of Ferrari F50's from the Matchbox Premiere series. We're moving on to the Ferrari's now, folks. Though I'm by and large a tuner fan nowadays, these Italian stallions will always have a special place in my heart. I grew up dreaming about them. The car that started my diecast obsession was a Ferrari. I always try to grab every 1/64 Ferrari I see and will continue to do so until I die.

The F50 needs no explanation, really. As a kid, I had (and still have) a yellow 1/24 scale model by Maisto. It was my favorite larger-sized diecast model, which explains why I still have it today and why it's still in pretty good condition considering its age. The yellow one shown here, which is from a Toys"R"Us-exclusive gift set, is like a twin to that one, except smaller. Having gone through a few unsatisfactory Hot Wheels models of the F50 throughout the years, I now remember why I loved this car so much.


That line running across the body. That big wing. And, my god, that rear end.


It's fairly common knowledge that the rear is the best feature of the F50. You will be seeing plenty of it in the photos below. I've always felt the front end was a little too soft, but regardless, Matchbox nailed this casting down to every curve. Both of these sport the red interior with detailed engines. Both have the Hot Head license plates. I don't know how that's relevant to the car, but it's a pretty accurate description of me nonetheless.


Silver is like the beige of supercars, but it works on this one.


It's a shame there are so many little nicks and scratches on the yellow model. I received it brand-new-in-box too, which means it's been trapped in its cage for about as long as I've been alive. And that's why you open your cars, guys.















No comments:

Post a Comment