Thursday, June 2, 2016

Jumping Onto the Bandwagon in the Superfast Lane: The Ford GT


I haven't even finished collecting the Premieres and World Classes yet and I'm already getting into another classic Matchbox series. Look, the bottom line is that any older Matchbox is worth collecting. I chose to start with the Premiere and World Class series because I appreciated their high levels of detail and loved those controversial wheels. Now I've begun collecting the Superfast series which, arguably, is more popular and well-known in the diecast-collecting world. Lord knows what I'll get into next, but for now let's concentrate on what these have to offer.


I'll get right to it: I have about ten of these Superfast models now, with more on the way, and while I like them very much, they're not in the same league as the Premieres or Premiere-related models (completely unbiased opinion here). The detail nowhere as obsessive. The wheels can often look cheap. That being said, are they still worth getting? Of course. That's a question that needs not be asked. They use newer castings which are more accurate, more well-proportioned, and sharper. But given a choice between the two, I'm siding with Premieres all day. The bar just happens to be very, very high.


Anyways, today's subject is the Ford GT in the traditional white-with-blue-stripes colorway. It sports the thick five-spoke wheels, one of several Superfast wheel designs. They're not bad, but I think they could've been done better. There's a slight hint of cheapness to them, as I alluded to earlier. even if they're really not. It looks more like something Maisto or Motormax would put out. Like they say, wheels are often the deal-maker or deal-breaker when it comes to diecast models, so the decision is up to you. I can accept these because the castings are Matchbox, plain and simple, and we all know how good they are.


The one flaw of this model is that the front wheels aren't wide enough. That's about all I have to complain about. Enjoy this one, folks.








No comments:

Post a Comment