Sunday, March 20, 2016

M2 Machines: Two from Detroit Muscle Release 33


To many of you, it may seem like I'm a huge muscle car addict. Most of my posts bleed red, white, and blue. I'm really not. I'm a die-hard tuner fan at heart. My top 10 list of favorite cars ever would probably be 90% Japanese. When I was younger, I was all about exotics. Muscle cars were never on my radar until the past year or so. A large part of that is because of this hobby. No, scratch that. 100% of that is because of diecast. I started seriously collecting them less than a year ago. It started with M2. Then, I fell in love with Auto World. Recently, I've been overdosing on Greenlight. Throw in a little bit of Johnny Lightning, Racing Champions, and what have you, and I'm now a fan of good ol' classic American muscle.

Of course, living in the U.S.A. means I get exposed to these all the time. Not necessarily when it comes to 1:1's, but definitely in 1:64's. All of the premium diecast brands we get here specialize in American muscle. No surprise, really. And I have no problem with it at all. The great thing about this hobby is it allowed me to gain an appreciation for all makes and models, regardless of country of origin.


Today, we come full circle and feature the brand that got me started on all this: M2 Machines. Two neat pieces from the Detroit Muscle line, Release 33. Two castings that I already have, but disguised in new colorways, one pink and one orange. As much as I knock on M2 for having such a limited selection of castings, they always knock it out of the park with inventive designs and colorways. That's called making the most of what you've got.


This is the 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442. I should note that I'm a sucker for anything pink. This one isn't hot pink or bright pink. It's a more toned-down metallic lavender type of pink. And it looks so, so fabulous. Throw in some stock wheels, simple striping, and spoiler delete and it's one of the classiest and cleanest 442's you'll ever see.






And then there's this 1970 Ford Torino Cobra SCJ Twister Special. A mouthful to say, but a sight to behold. I love collecting diecast that have trim-line designations. Small variations make a huge difference to me. The fact that this one is specifically the Twister Special really sweetened the deal.





Even if you couldn't care less about muscle cars, I'm sure these caught your attention. If you haven't already, get out there and take a good look at something you don't normally collect. You just might fall for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment