Sunday, April 17, 2016

Something Different for a Change: My Custom Porsche 918 Spyder from LEGO's Speed Champions Line


It's not diecast, but it most certainly is car-related.

Growing up, LEGO was my main thing. I had toy cars before I had LEGO, but I always considered LEGO as my first true hobby. I've been playing and collecting them since I was five, and that hasn't stopped today. I'm largely a Star Wars collector, but I sprinkle in a little bit of other themes here and there. For example, I also collect Bionicle and I like to build with Technic. There are a few Super Heroes sets on my shelf and I have a City planned for the future.

Then, the Speed Champions line came out last year. For someone like me who's both a LEGO fan and a car enthusiast, these are the best of both worlds. The general consensus is that the line is a success, with sets flying off the shelves and even being hard-to-find at one point. It's no surprise, as LEGO and cars go hand-in-hand; there's a good chance that someone who likes cars also happens to be a LEGO fan.

For reference, here is a list of all the Speed Champions sets. If these are the first you've heard of or seen them, you may be taken aback by the inaccuracy of these models. And I don't blame you for that. The designs leave a lot to be desired. However, I see it as an opportunity to get down, exercise some creativity, and spend a little time tweaking and modifying the models. The beauty in LEGO is that nothing is set in stone. Not satisfied with how something is built from the factory? Break it up, add your own parts, and make it better. That's exactly what I did with these. This Porsche 918 Spyder is a case in point (you will see the other models in the future!).



I've put together a short little video for those who want to see full 360 degree views of my model, including its features. As per the usual, you will also see some photography below.


I won't go too far into the details as this is a diecast blog and not a LEGO one, but I will say that this model has been almost completely retooled. It doesn't share much in common with the original. It's been widened. I've gotten rid of most of the stickers and built a lot of the details myself. The interior has been upgraded to resemble the real thing. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the result. It's what I envisioned the Speed Champions line should've been.










No comments:

Post a Comment