Sunday, April 3, 2016

Sippin' From Your Cup 'Til It Runneth Over...


Holy Grail.

This is it. This is the diecast piece I've always wanted of a car that I've always wanted. The Nissan Skyline GT-R R33. Also known as, the best GT-R.


That's just my opinion, of course. I could go on and on about why this particular generation of one of the greatest sports car lineages is the best. I'm a visual type of guy, so let's talk about the design. I see a car with near-perfect proportions. Not too round, not too boxy. Just right. Sleek, but not too fancy. Aggressive but in a mild-mannered package. That rear wing: sporty without being tacky. Those taillights: perfect.


The R33 is also the most neglected compared with its predecessors and successors. Hot Wheels has a casting for every generation of the GT-R, except this one. How many diecast companies out there actually make the R33? In 1/64, probably only Tomica and Kyosho. Good luck finding those here in the U.S.; you'd have to source them from overseas. If that's not enough, AUTOart makes fabulous 1/18 scale models of the R33 in various forms. This one here is the Nismo R-Tune version.


This is my holy grail. It's my first-ever AUTOart model and my first taste of what high-end 1/18 models are all about. Consequently, it's also by far the most I've ever spent on any piece of diecast. I had to. I just had to. When a company offers a near-perfect replica of your favorite car, you bite the bullet and get it. And you get it in the most sinister, meanest-looking color you can: flat black.


And it doesn't disappoint at all. I've never laid my hands on anything this detailed before. I think the pictures speak for themselves, but allow me to ramble for a bit.


The Nismo package makes a great-looking car look even better. I've always liked what Nismo has done. Their modifications are tasteful without being excessive. This one gets a more aggressive front bumper and side skirts, large rear diffuser, carbon fiber bits, and killer 5-spoke Nismo wheels. If you needed to confirm that it is indeed a Nismo, just take a look at the wheels, the radiator, or even the seats. The logo is right there.


Speaking of the seats, let's take a look at the interior. It's a 90's Nissan, so you shouldn't expect plush leather and fancy gadgets. Everything is there as it should be, and it's clearly a step up from the budget 1/18 models that I have. There are no hard plastics or cheap-looking chrome bits here. All the textures have a high-quality look and feel to them, from the carpeting to the felt-like material on the seats.


Likewise, the engine bay is well-detailed. It's not just one giant swathe of plastic like you'd find on a Maisto or Bburago. AUTOart prides itself on the sheer number of individual pieces that are in every model, and this one is no different. I also love the inclusion of the hood prop rod. A little fragile, but it serves its purpose, is realistic, and it works.


Despite all of that, it was the trunk that really caught my attention. Just take a look at those hinges. Three hinges on each side, each of them connected with two screws. That's detail at its finest, and that's what you should expect from high-end pieces like this. 






Being a first-timer, I'm rather impressed. In fact, I'm so impressed that I have a second high-end 1/18 on the way. When it does get here, you'll surely see it here on the blog. Will the novelty wear off? Maybe. Regardless, it's hard not to appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into a piece like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment