Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Racing Champions is Back!


So far, 2016 has brought quite a few significant changes to the diecast scene. For one, we've seen Target stocking various "premium" brands in addition to Hot Wheels and Matchbox. We've seen the return of Johnny Lightning. And now, we have the return of Racing Champions.

First of all, I'm completely new to this brand. I don't remember them being around when I started collecting, and I never acquired any of their models either. When I heard Racing Champions was making a return, I was quite pleased. It never hurts to have more variety in the diecast market, though the wallet may disagree. Being from the same family as Johnny Lightning and Auto World, you can expect them to do classic American muscle well. Some of you may already have their previous releases, and as I understand, these are the same castings as before. For me, this is my first taste of what Racing Champions has to offer. Let's see how they stack up!


I'm a pure DLM'er, meaning I open ALL of my cars, save for any doubles or extras. I normally don't show photos of diecast in their packaging, but I will do so here just to give you guys an idea of what to expect. I found these at Walmart. They were priced at $5.97 and are packaged in clamshell blisters, Therefore, these run for about the same as Johnny Lightning, Auto World, M2, and Greenlight. 

There are six models in this wave:

1969 Dodge Charger Daytona
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1949 Buick Riviera
1960 Chevy Impala
1965 Pontiac GTO
1956 Chevy Nomad.

Of the six, only two were not present, the Daytona and the Nomad, so I can only assume that they were snatched up by whoever got there first. That's OK, because these two models here are fantastic in their own rights. 



Opening up the blisters, you will find that they come in cardboard boxes with plastic windows. This is especially neat if you're an opener like me, because those clamshell blisters get destroyed in the process. You now have the option to store or display these models in the boxes.

I'll start with the GTO first!



This model looked fantastic from the get-go. I'm no expert on classic muscle cars, but I think this one is really fabulous with its faint yellow paint and redline tires. It comes with a plastic base, so it feels rather light and, dare I say, cheap. To some, that can be a turn-off, especially at this price. I tend to focus more on how the model looks, and this one checks all of the boxes.






The engine opens up to reveal some painted details. Surprisingly, I found that the trunk opens too, but I couldn't get a photo of it because it doesn't stay up.  


I do have one minor gripe. The red lines (or circles, rather) on the tires aren't lined up very well. Quality-wise, it's not quite as solid as its sister company Auto World. Still, if you like GTO's or classic muscle in general, you might want to consider this one.


Next we have the Road Runner. This one comes in a metallic gold/light-green color and redline tires. Unlike the GTO, it has a metal base but lacks the opening trunk. I'm not big on opening parts because I display my models closed, so this doesn't bother me. I am, however, all for details and realism, and this one is no different. 







Again, slight quality issues are present. This one has a case of poor tire fitment in addition to the redline issue.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with these two pieces, the GTO in particular. From my first impressions, Racing Champions doesn't quite have the superb quality of Auto World, but is comparable, if not better, than M2 and Greenlight. Being that these are old castings, I'd say they stack up pretty well with some of the new product out there today. The details, which are superb, are on par with the competition at this price point. Racing Champions has a new advocate, and I'm already looking forward to future releases. If there's a particular model that appeals to you, grab it! 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment