Wednesday, February 24, 2016

M2 Machines: Detroit Muscle Release 32




Today, I will be featuring these three cars shown here!

It was less than a year ago that I purchased my first M2 Machines. It was the summer of 2015, and I was wandering the diecast aisle at Walmart looking for something interesting other than your run-of-the-mill Hot Wheels and Matchbox. In the middle of the aisle, I found a pretty decent selection of Auto Worlds and M2 Machines. I spotted an olive green HEMI Cuda by M2, with a black HEMI vinyl and black roof. It was a color combination I've never seen before, and it was simply stunning. I took it home with me, and that's when my M2 addiction started.



Fast forward to now and I have a few dozen of these already. M2 makes great looking models, period. However, it's a love/hate relationship with this brand. From the outside, they look amazing; look closely and you'll see so many flaws that you contemplate whether or not it was worth the money. Execution is everything in diecast, and M2 meets that only halfway. Nonetheless, they make some models worth drooling over. These three illustrate my point exactly.

They are part of the Detroit Muscle series, aimed at collectors who favor vintage American muscle cars. They retail for around $6 and come in the acrylic cases shown above, which are perfect for display. Additionally, you also get opening hoods and opening doors.

I've never been a huge muscle fan in the past. Stepping foot into M2 Machines is a large part of why I've grown to like them quite a lot. Allow me to present these three models from Release 32, the '69 Chevy Camaro SS/RS, the '71 Dodge Charger SE, and the '69 Plymouth 'Cuda.



First is the '69 Chevy Camaro SS/RS 350 Z10. The first thing that struck me was the neon-orange striping and how well it contrasts with the white paint. Camaro's are a dime a dozen in the diecast world, but this one will win over even the most jaded Camaro fan.






Next up is the '71 Dodge Charger SE 383!

This is my personal favorite of the series. From the moment I saw pictures of this floating around on the internet, I knew I had to go seek it out. I'm usually not a fan of this shade of yellow, but it looks super clean on this Charger. The white roof finishes it off perfectly.





Lastly, the '68 Plymouth 'Cuda 440!


This one instantly reminded me of my first M2. Granted, that HEMI Cuda was a '71 and this is a '69, and they're slightly different shades of green. It's just so refreshing to see a unique colorway like this one. 

Instant classic.







For those of you new to M2 Machines, you probably noticed two things. One, these models look fabulous. Two, the quality needs some work. The extra opening features come at a cost. The door gaps are atrocious and the hoods rarely close all the way. Other slight blemishes may range from scuffed wheels to mangled tires to bent axles. I've even heard stories of cars falling apart. Whatever the case, I always recommend double checking before buying a model. It's not a sure-fire method of guaranteeing a defect-free product, but it certainly is better than not doing so.


Well, I hope you guys enjoyed this post as much as I enjoyed writing and photographing the models! Now go out there and find some for yourself!



No comments:

Post a Comment