Saturday, July 2, 2016

Acquiring a Grail, But It's Not Diecast!


Some of you may know that LEGO is my second passion next to diecast. As a child, I alternated between the both of them. I played with toy cars for the first few years of my life before I eventually transitioned into building with bricks. Then, during my teenage years, I moved back to cars and kind of forgot about LEGO. Nowadays, I collect both. I've been on a mission to acquire some of the sets I weren't able to have when I was a kid. Many of the sets on my list are cars, like this one. This is the Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, in a whopping 1/10 scale.


I consider this a grail because it fetches exorbitant money on the secondary market. While it's hard to consider any LEGO set as "rare", these don't just randomly show up every day at reasonable prices. I've been consistently stalking eBay for this set the past few months, waiting for the right price to show up. Last week, I had a chance to get this one at an amount I was willing to shell out.

Which I did.


No regrets here, because it was a fantastic build and the model, though it might look raw and unfinished to those not familiar with the Technic system of LEGO, is stunning. The 599 has always been one of my favorite Ferrari models since it came out a decade ago. It's elegant but without any of the flashiness that typically comes with supercar nature.

This LEGO model replicates it fairly well considering the medium with which it's built. Front the front half, there's no mistaking what this is, if you know your cars. The specialized wheels, made for this set, match those on the life-sized version. The hood, doors, and trunk all open. The mid-engined V12 has working pistons that come to life as you roll the car around. A few stickers here and there add the necessary details to finish it off.


Worth it?

Yes. Definitely.







No comments:

Post a Comment