Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Hot Wheels Elite 1/18 Ferrari FXX


It's also known as the Enzo that you can't drive on the road.

Speaking of the Enzo, you should probably know that it's my numero uno Ferrari of all time. We all know of its otherworldly performance but to this day, I've been entranced with its design since day one, a design which had drawn mixed reviews and harsh criticism. It's a bold departure from every preceding Ferrari, and I just happened to like the angular nose, swooping lines, and overblown fenders. The real question is: how did I end up with an FXX instead?


In short: limited choices. Ferrari is notoriously stingy with its licensing. In eighteenths, you have two choices for the Enzo: the Hot Wheels and the BBR. Hot Wheels can't get the wheels right. The BBR costs half a grand. So I went with the next best thing, the Ferrari FXX.

Hot Wheels makes a plethora of variations for the FXX. There are multiple colorways, some with extra decals, the Evoluzione, and even a Michael Schumacher edition. I chose the "standard" red one because that's what all Ferraris should be - bone stock in Rosso Corsa. This one has the black wheels and is currently the hardest-to-find of the various releases. This example is kind of how you picture the FXX in your head, and that's what I was aiming for.


It's funny that as much as I love the Enzo, I have a very indifferent opinion of the FXX. Perhaps it's just that I don't care for racecars. Maybe it's that all the edges of the original Enzo design have been smoothed out. In any case, Hot Wheels nailed the FXX when it couldn't do the Enzo properly. The wheels are finally the right size. Overall fit and finish is good, though the windows are made of a thin plastic and prone to peeling off the pillars. The detail is amazing throughout and particularly within the hidden compartments. This is something that I've started taking for granted when it comes to models from Hot Wheels Elite, and this surely won't be the last of them.

























No comments:

Post a Comment